I am gearing up for our family’s annual summer simplify extravaganza! Sounds fun huh?!@?!
A few times a year I go through the house drawer by drawer, nook by cranny, and room by room clearing the clutter. Sheesh I feel even lighter just writing this. We decide what to donate and have a huge garage sale and try not to buy so much
crap stuff the next time.
You may be doing some summer cleaning and clearing as well and I wanted to share a few tips on what to donate to your local women’s shelter instead of your old undies or socks. (I know, I know you have never thrown your old undies into the donate pile… really, I was just writing that for dramatic effect).
Did you know…..Women’s shelters rely heavily on donations, but often people don’t even know what to do to help. Here is a list of some much needed items that sometimes do not come to mind when you are in the midst of a summer simplify extravaganza.
Pro tip: Call ahead… Get on the phone with your local shelter and find out what type of donations they are accepting. Some women’s shelters do not have the staff to handle clothing donations. So call ahead cause you are a pro like that!
Five things you can donate now:
- Your old cell phones– These are given to women in order for them to dial 911 in an emergency, such as their intimate partner harassing them. Even though not activated, the phones can still call 911. Be sure to erase your personal information and deactivate the phone from your service.
- Feminine Hygiene Products- Pads & tampons…. You get the drift.
- Bedding and towels– Clean bedding is something everyone can use. Consider children’s bedding as well. Also, something as simple as towels sometimes get overlooked when people are donating.
- Baby items- Diapers & Pull Up’s, wipes, blankets. There is rarely time to pack a diaper bag in an emergency situation. A wonderful donation is a “basket” filled with age specific items. You could assemble a newborn basket, 3 month old basket, etc… Add in clothes for that age/size, small toys, teethers, etc… And don’t forget your breastfeeding mama. Have a breastfeeding pillow, breastpads and nursing bras? Send them along too!
- Books and magazines– Once you are done with your reading materials, consider donating them for other women to read. Also consider donating children’s books.
Motivate to clean and clear yet? Please share in the comments below any other less thought of items that can be donated?