How to make your own Raw Honey Coconut Oil face mask!

September 10, 2012

I am so excited to share with you how to make your own Raw Honey Coconut Oil Face Mask! Please do not attempt this if you are on a low sugar diet, because I can promise you that you are going to want to eat your face off.  It is truly the most decadent face mask you will ever try.

Let’s get down to the details of why you would want to smear raw honey and coconut oil all over your face.

"honey in the raw"

The many benefits of Raw Honey:

First thing that you should know is that that not all honey is created equal. Unfortunately, most of the honey found in grocery stores has been processed with heat, which kills off healing enzymes and destroys a lot of the nutrient-rich content. Raw honey on the other hand is full of healing enzymes and nutrients that are very beneficial for healing your skin.  So what is the definition of “Raw Honey”?  Raw Honey is honey as it exists in the beehive or as obtained by extraction, settling, or straining; and that has not been heated above 118 degrees Fahrenheit during production or storage; or pasteurized.

Why Raw Honey is good for your skin:

Did you know that Raw Honey has the ph of 4.5.?  This means that it raw honey falls within skin’s naturally healthy pH range.  It is also contains antiseptic and antimicrobial properties making it great for healing the skin.  It is especially great at healing cuts and burns by killing bacteria and fungus. Raw honey also contains gluconic acid, a mild alpha hydroxy acid that brightens the complexion, evens out skin tone, and lightens scars and age spots.  Here are a few skin issues that raw honey does wonders for:

• Acne and enlarged pores
  • Rosacea
  • Eczema
  • Hyperpigmentation
  • Sensitive, mature, and dull lifeless skin

Now let’s talk about Virgin Coconut Oil and how it benefits your skin:

Organic Virgin Coconut Oil

Virgin Coconut Oil has small molecular structure which allows for easy absorption through the skin –  helping to soften and smooth the texture of your skin.  Coconut oil has an anti-oxidant property which helps your skin fight against free radicals making it  an ideal ointment for the relief of dry, rough and wrinkled skin. Psoriasis and eczema suffers often see great improvements when they apply virgin coconut oil to their skin twice a day.  Sounds good, right!

So what would happen if we combine these two powerhouses into a nutrient rich yummy face mask?

!KaPow! Super soft hydrated skin!

Big shout out to Molly – my sunshiny soap assistant – for  helping me out as my Raw Honey Coconut Oil mask face model.  thanks molly!

Sunshiny Soap Assistant Molly!

Here is what you are going to need:

1. Virgin Coconut Oil
  2. Raw Honey
  3. Mixing Bowl
  4. Spoon

yes that’s it folk…. simple & easy!

Here is what you do:

1. Mix Virgin Coconut Oil with Raw Honey using a spoon and a mixing bowl (make sure you mix till it is fully incorporated and looks like cloudy honey)
  2. Take your fingertips and apply mixture to your face softly because the raw honey may have crystallized and can be kinda rough on your skin if you use too much pressure.
  3. Let mixture rest on your face for 15 min and then rinse off gently with lukewarm water – patting face to dry.

Honey Coconut Face mask

Did I just blow your mind with how easy and simple that was?!

A few things to know – Raw Honey and Virgin Coconut Oil will warm up with the temperature of your body making it drip off your face at times so make sure you have a towel handy for clean ups.  Or just do what Molly did and lick it off your fingers – Your call.

*note- If you have allergies, try a patch test first and/or ask you physician if raw honey is a right for you.

Please share in the comments section below your results after trying out this mask.  Molly’s skin was super soft and glowing after.  I now use this mask twice a week and apply it a few minutes before I get in the shower.  Love the way my skin feels so smooth!

Till next week!

Yours Truly,

Lindy

Spread the Love:

{ 56 comments… read them below or add one }

Kelly November 29, 2012 at 4:00 am

I was just wondering what the shelf life for this would be. I’m making homemade mason jar spa baskets for Christmas and this sounds like a perfect addition.
Loved the post.
Thanks
Kelly

Poppy Soap Co. November 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi Kelly!

Because there is no water involved these will last a long time! I would say at least 6 months to a year or more :) What else are you making for your spa baskets. Great idea!
~lindy

Kim December 8, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Where do you find virgin coconut oil?

Poppy Soap Co. December 11, 2012 at 6:14 am

Hi Kim,

I like to use Tropical Traditions Gold Label. Here is a link for you http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.html

Kim W December 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Going to try it on my hands for psorsisias, any suggestions?

Poppy Soap Co. January 1, 2013 at 6:21 pm

How did it work for you Kim? :)
lindy

Allison April 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

I had a problem with psoriasis a couple years ago, it’s a pain and I feel for you. Hope it works, good luck!

Kellie January 17, 2013 at 7:33 pm

What is the ratio of Coconut Oil to Raw Honey, ie 2 tsp of C.O. to 1 tsp of Honey?

Poppy Soap Co. January 17, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Hi Kellie!

Great question. I would do 2 TBS of Coconut oil to 1 TBS of Raw Honey. You can save excess mixture in a mason jar for later use. If you are not going to use it right away I would store it in the refrigerator.

Let me know how it turned out for you.
~lindy

yenifer January 27, 2013 at 4:41 am

I have it on my face! I love coconut oil nd honey yum ;) btw how often do u do this face mask? What do u notice different from ur face after using it for a while now?

Poppy Soap Co. January 27, 2013 at 10:53 pm

I love how soft it makes my face as well as moisturized. I do this mask every week as a treat! Thanks for trying it :)
lindy

hungry February 6, 2013 at 6:47 am

Do you use moisturizer after this, or is the coconut oil enough? I don’t have a dry or greasy skintype.

Poppy Soap Co. February 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Hi there!
I do not feel the need to moisturize after doing this treatment. I usually just pat my face dry with a towel and I am good to go. Hope that helps!
~lindy

AndreaB February 13, 2013 at 1:26 am

I did a quick web search tonight for “make your own” face masks, and since I already had these two ingredients on hand (and since I already think they’re awesome), I have it on my face right now! Thanks for the easy recipe! I had some left over and was seriously tempted to just eat it. I restrained myself (mostly) and am saving the rest for another night. :)

hazel February 28, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Hi, great post! I actually had a coconut oil and honey mask on earlier today. I like to brew green tea and then tear it open and use the leaves in the mixture. It acts like a soft exfoliant, plus the green tea has good benefits. It has been clearing up my acne. After I wash it off, I apply aloe vera gel to seal in the moisture. Again, more added benefits. Hehe

Stephanie April 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm

You can buy organic virgin Coconut Oil at Trader Joes.

Poppy Soap Co. April 18, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Yes Stephanie, thank you for your sharing.

sharon finlay April 19, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Hi Just Wondering Where To Buy The Coconut And Honey?

Poppy Soap Co. May 11, 2013 at 11:54 pm

You can buy honey at your local farmers market or a natural food store. Organic Coconut oil can be found on-line at Tropical Traditions or Trader Joes. Good Luck!

Angie April 28, 2013 at 4:17 am

Where do you get the raw honey from?

Poppy Soap Co. May 11, 2013 at 11:53 pm

we get it from a local farmer. You can grab some at your Natural Food store – just make sure it says raw on it :)

Barbara K Hokw May 6, 2013 at 5:46 pm

How much raw honey to raw coconut oil do you put together to make the mask??

Poppy Soap Co. May 11, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Hi Barbara!

I do about 1 TBS of each :)

Lucy May 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Hi, I’d love to make this face pack because my skin is looking a bit blotchy and meh at the moment. I have Nutiva Coconut Oil and a jar of organic 22+Manuka honey. Question: Will the manuka be OK or will it be too strong? Don’t want to make my skin worse by trying to make it better.
Lucy

KRey June 24, 2013 at 5:41 am

What is the best way to get the mask off? I had a hard time and ended up having to use my face wash. My skin feels softer but I think the wash could have hindered what the oils were trying to do :-(

Robin Bates July 5, 2013 at 12:18 am

I imagine a good way would be similar to what I do with my olive oil mask. Using very warm water soak a washcloth and wring it then lay it on your face till it cools a bit and repeat a few times. It warms the oil enough to break it up while opening your pores and just rub any remaining in which will only be enough to make your face soft and moisturized

Robin Bates July 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm

I like to take this recipe and add either a teaspoon of raw cacoa or spirulina for all the extra benefits.

Lanette Golian July 7, 2013 at 4:32 am

You can use coconut oil as a moisturizer after the mask is washed off.It keeps my skin so soft.It is also good for a leave in conditioner after hair is washed and conditioned.Just rub a little on your hands and run through your hair,avoiding the roots.

Paula July 12, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I bought virgin coconut oil to use for this and in the store it was white and thick like in the picture and when I went to use it today (about 3-4 days later) it was clear like regular oil. What happened? Is this natural?

Poppy Soap Co. July 23, 2013 at 3:46 am

Totally natural. Coconut oil melts above 78 degrees.

Julie Volkheimer August 16, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I just made this recipe to use on my face and to also put on my dog who has a hot spot. I have been using straight Virgin Coconut oil on hot spots for the dogs with great results. (you just have to keep them from licking it off.) So I am trying the combination of the raw honey and coconut oil on a hot spot to see how it works!.
Coscto now carries a 78 fl oz jar of Nutiva USDA Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and the cost in Alaska is $21.99. So should be a bit cheaper in lower 48. This is the best price for quantity I have found.
I have read that the coconut oil is good for about 2 years and the raw honey is good forever, so I would think this mixture should last over a year. What do you think Lindy?

Poppy Soap Co. August 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Oh yes! Coconut oil lasts forever to be honest. That mixture is fine for a good long while!

Ally November 14, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I have been having problems with adult acne for almost a year. I have tried various things including dermatologist prescription meds, oral an creams. Nothing seem to help long term. They would make me break out more, very dry skin or only work for a few weeks then acne again. It was painful I couldn’t sleep on my side. Until I heard of raw honey. I use it everyday in different facial mask. Happy to say my acne is gone and scars are almost faded away.
I used the -cinnamon, nutmeg, honey
-lime and honey
-yogurt and honey
– and plain raw honey.

julissa December 20, 2013 at 1:30 am

I use this recipe and I love it

julissa December 20, 2013 at 1:32 am

It kinda burn for a little and them it was good. My face felt so soft…love it. Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe

Brooke January 1, 2014 at 6:41 am

My honey came as a solid. It looks nothing like your pic. ??

Poppy Soap Co. February 3, 2014 at 11:46 am

Raw honey is often solid. Just heat the jar gently is a glass of warm water, and that should help. Good luck!

hi January 27, 2014 at 10:37 am

hi, i was wondering if it is okay to put this on everynight?

Poppy Soap Co. February 3, 2014 at 11:44 am

Sure! This can be used daily!

pat January 27, 2014 at 10:42 am

hi, whats the most times a week i can put this facemask on? ive been putting this on everynight so far for 2 days haha

Poppy Soap Co. February 3, 2014 at 11:45 am

Hi Pat! You can use this mask daily if you are so inclined! Enjoy!

Christy January 27, 2014 at 5:26 pm

What is the difference of using coconut oil vs. virgin coconut oil?

Poppy Soap Co. February 3, 2014 at 11:49 am

Hi Christy! The difference is in how they are processed. Virgin coconut oil is much less processed than ‘regular’ coconut oil. Hope that helps! Thanks for reading!

Kelly February 9, 2014 at 12:44 pm

I have this on my face and lips right now. I also put the left over on the ends of my hair. Figure it can’t hurt! It’s delicious too! My face is shimmering gold and I love it lol

Poppy Soap Co. February 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm

That’s wonderful Kelly! Thanks for sharing!

IZY February 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I love this mask! I wanna make a whole jar of it so I don’t have to keep mixing everytime I want to use it and I always have excess so I always end up wasting it. Would you happen to know the shelf life mixed raw honey and

Poppy Soap Co. February 27, 2014 at 8:20 am

You should be able to store in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks. Enjoy!

Paula March 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Can you please advies the ratio. Is it 1:1 or 2:1 You have mentioned both in your comments. I have rosacea. Wpuld love to use this just need to know how much of each

Thanx
Paula

Kathy March 3, 2014 at 6:04 am

I was wondering if you need to cleanse your face before or after you use this mask?

Poppy Soap Co. March 6, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Not necessary Kathy! The raw honey is cleansing enough :)

Paula March 4, 2014 at 1:04 am

Hi can you please tell me the ratio you have mentions 1:1 or 2:1 just not sure which one it is. Thanx

Paula March 6, 2014 at 3:40 am

Hi can you please tell me the ratio of the ingredients. I really want to make thanks

Paula

Poppy Soap Co. March 6, 2014 at 1:05 pm

A tablespoon of each should work perfectly!

Paula March 18, 2014 at 1:38 am

Awesome thanx. Sorry didnt realise it had posted so many times kept telling me it failed

Paula March 18, 2014 at 1:39 am

Awesome thanx. Sorry didnt realise how many times it posted kept telling me it failed Again sorry

Poppy Soap Co. April 19, 2013 at 3:18 am

Thank you Tip Junkie for listing my Raw Honey Coconut Oil Facial Mask as one of your 33 facial recipes!
xo