The Warming Sock Treatment is a technique used to treat the common cold, influenza, sore throats, sinus infections, upper respiratory tract infections, headaches, head and chest congestion, and fevers.
The treatment works by stimulating the body’s natural defenses. Warming socks is a type of “heating compress” – a hydrotherapy technique that causes the body to increase blood circulation in order to heat up the cold, wet socks.
This increase in blood circulation helps to relieve congestion and stimulates greater action of the immune system so that it is better able to fight the virus or bacteria causing the illness.
This treatment can also have a sedating effect and many people report sleeping much better during the treatment.
It is best to start the warming socks treatment on the first day of an illness and repeat it for three nights in a row. It is most effective as part of an integrated treatment plan including rest, hydration, proper nutrition and immune-boosting botanicals or supplements.
- Cotton Socks (wet)
- Wool Socks (dry)
- Sinkful or bucket of very cold water
- Tub or bucket of very warm water
- Lavender Essential Oil
- A warm bed
- Put cotton socks (they don’t need to be 100% cotton, just mostly) in a sink of cold, even iced if you want, water. Let the socks soak till they’re saturated.
- Place your feet in a tub or bucket of very warm water, to warm the feet. Soak your feet as long as you want, but make sure the water stays warm and so do your feet.
- After feet are warm, ring out the cotton socks sprinkle a few drops of Lavender essential oil on them and put them on your feet.
- Have the dry wool socks right near you so you can them immediately put them on over and completely covering the wet socks.
- Go right to bed, making sure the feet stay warm.
- Do this for three nights in a row. You should feel relief from fever and congestion resulting in a better night sleep. Your feet will wake up completely dry in the morning.
Simple as that! Please let me know in the comments section how this natural treatment worked to treat your cold symptoms.