September is one of my favorite months! While I love summer, there is something so magical about the California Coast teetering on the edge of autumn. The weather is gorgeous…warm enough to spend the day at the beach but cool enough in the early morning and late evening to warrant a light sweater and a warm cup of tea.
Oh how I love thee.
I spend every morning, afternoon, and evening with a cup of tea planting in my grasp. My days feel richer with a cup of tea. Tea, for me, can solve just about any trouble I have. It invigorates me.
This time of year I turn to my Spiced Ginger Tea. Ohhh…this tea is Just. So. Good.
This tea has a little kick so I prefer to drink it in the morning. It also can serve as a great throat and cough tea. I have used it on my son when he has been struggling with an upper respiratory illness and it works wonders. I just tone the spices down a bit for him. But for me? I crank that spice right up!
Spiced Ginger Tea
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup sliced fresh, peeled ginger root
- 1 piece star anise
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5-10 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 4 tablespoons honey
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the ginger root, star anise, and the cardamom pods. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the cloves and simmer for an additional 8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in the lemon/orange juice and the honey.
- Strain out the spices and ginger and serve warm.