I absolutely, positively LOVE this time of year. I am such a fan of pumpkin. I mean, it just makes me feel so alive. The scent alone is enough to change my mood from “ugg” to “yeah!”
Pumpkins are not known for having a significant aroma. I mean, you don’t walk by one growing on the vine and think “ahh – that smells divine.” However, when you mix that pumpkin with some warming spices, you create a heavenly blend of olfactory goodness.
I’m not an advocate of “fake” scents for the sheer fact that they are all created with chemicals. So in order to bring the scents of fall into my home, I needed to come up with my own little potpourri blend to simmer in the crock pot.
Yes, simmer in the crock pot. You could simmer this on the stove but you will want to be home in case the water evaporates. That’s why I like to use my mini-crockpot and call it a day.
I think you all will love this recipe. Use the leftover pumpkin to create some of my fabulous pumpkin recipes including:
DIY Pumpkin Spice Simmer Potpourri
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ginger or a 1/2 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree or chunks of fresh pumpkin
- Place all of the ingredients in your crock pot.
- Add 2-3 cups of water and place the lid on.
- Simmer on low for 2 hours and then turn to “warm” if you have that function.
- Turn it off whenever you feel like it.