While most everyone is still pumpkin this, pumpkin that, I’m moving on to Cranberry! I just love these little red berries. They are such powerhouses for our bodies that really, we should be eating more of them.
I talked about many of the health benefits in my Cranberry Applesauce post. I suggest you head over there to see what all the fuss is about. After you finish up there, come on back and check out this incredible recipe!
Cranberry apple crisp is one of my favorite comfort foods. I actually stock up on cranberries and freeze them just so I can make this year round. I eat this for breakfast, lunch, dessert, and snack. It isn’t loaded with junk ingredients but it still is a treat. And consider yourself warned…it is so delicious that you will not stop eating it!
Gluten Free Cranberry Apple Crisp
- 1 cup fresh, whole cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I love walnuts in this)
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup oats (I use gluten free)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted OR 2/3 cup gluten-free baking mix
- Combine cranberries, apples and honey in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Mix nuts, sugar, butter and oats with flour and pat into dish (mixture will be like a moist paste. Add a tablespoon of water, if needed.)
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm.
- If you want to make this super decadent, top it with vanilla ice cream.
The photo I used is from last year when I was trying to make it fancy for a get together. It does not look this fabulous when you make it the way outlined in this post. But is sure tastes good!