I am always looking for an easy to make, delicious to eat, and nourishing for the body treat for my son. Something not too loaded with sugar but still tasty enough that he will eat it. Bonus points if it is a snack type recipe that can double as a dessert or party food to share.
I try to eat a lot of coconut since it is oh so good for the body. I also try to incorporate a lot of veggies into our meals and snacks. When I saw a recipe for oatmeal bars, I knew I could improve on them and create exactly what I like to serve my family.
The end result? This. This delicious snack/dessert. Slightly chewy, moist and crumbly, and just a bit sweet. These gluten free oatmeal coconut bars are always a hit in my house!
Gluten Free Oatmeal Coconut Bars
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice ( I have subbed coconut milk before and it was good)
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free baking mix OR 1/2 cup sifted coconut flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- /2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed organic brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups grated carrots or zucchini or a combination of both
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the apple juice (or milk) over medium-high heat until gently boiling. Add the oats, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed.
- In the meantime, combine flour, flax seed, 1/2 cup shredded coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, carrots/zucchini and eggs.
- Fold into flour mixture.
- Add oatmeal mixture and stir until just blended.
- Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. You want the bars slightly chewy but crispy on the outside.