Lemon season is in full swing. Sure, you’ve seen lemons hanging from trees for months now but really, March and April are prime time for lemons. They are getting sweeter and juicer around this time of year which makes them perfect for baking!
I love this lemon cake recipe. It isn’t tough to make and it turns out so very moist. The lemon flavor can be tailored to your liking. I use tons of lemon because I like a strong lemony taste. But you can use less and make it very subtle.
This makes a perfect afternoon snack paired with a light tea.
Who is ready for this recipe?
Super Moist Lemon Cake
For the cake
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups raw honey (I find I only really need 1 cup. It depends on the sweetness of the lemons.
- 4 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
- 3 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I LOVE to make this really lemony and will actually use a cup or more of lemon juice. Taste the batter and add more accordingly).
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the glaze (optional)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two loaf pans, round cake pans, square cake pans or cupcake tins. The choice is yours!
- Cream the butter and honey in the bowl of an electric mixer for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean. (Cupcakes typically take 35-45 minutes).
- When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes, then invert them onto a rack set over a tray, and spoon the lemon syrup over the cakes (if using the glaze).
- Allow the cakes to cool completely.
To make the glaze
Combine 1/2 cup raw sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves and makes a syrup.